Norske Skog's environmental policy
Norske Skog is committed to sustainable development of the environment and natural resources.
Norske Skogs environmental policy is an integral part of the strategy to achieve Norske Skog’s goals. Our environmental commitments shall be reviewed in context with the company’s commitments to health, safety and corporate social responsibility.
Norske Skog has developed Corporate Standards with more detailed instructions on how Norske Skog shall continuously improve its environmental and society performance.
Norske Skog’s basic environmental requirements include:
- Operating and developing its business units by continuously improving their environmental performance, and with a view to reducing the environmental impact to a minimum
- Efficient production processes with high yield on raw material and energy utilisation shall be key objectives in all production units. We will only use raw materials from sustainably managed sources and actively participate in the work to combat climate change. Environmental aspects shall be integrated in strategic considerations and operational decisions
- Environmental responsibilities and tasks shall be clearly defined and adhered to throughout the organisation. The business units shall educate and train their employees to know and understand our environmental requirements and work performance expectations
- Certifiable and internationally acknowledged environmental management systems shall be actively applied in the management of all production units
- Norske Skog shall have environmental programmes with clear objectives and annually set targets supporting the company’s environmental policy and strategic ambition
- Norske Skog shall expect the same high environmental performance from suppliers of goods and services in the value chain as maintained in our own activities
- Forest certification is encouraged and certified wood suppliers will be given priority
- Norske Skog shall have an environmental performance that supports our customers in reaching their environmental objectives
- Norske Skog shall operate and develop its business units with respect for, and understanding of, the social and cultural values that exist in the countries in which it operates
- Norske Skog shall be open to and actively engage in dialogue with stakeholders, and will communicate openly on environmental matters